The coronavirus pandemic is a disaster and the world is seeing the variety of individuals affected growing quickly on a regular basis. To manage the unfold of the virus, a number of measures have been applied in numerous nations. Social distancing and self-isolation are phrases you might need heard extra of lately and are two crucial interventions being put in place to restrict the unfold of coronavirus. These measures gradual the unfold of the virus, and when appropriately practiced, can gradual the speed of an infection in a city, neighborhood and even your complete nation.
What does social distancing imply?
Social distancing refers to putting in sufficient bodily house between individuals. Why ought to we socially distance ourselves from different individuals? The World Health Organisation (WHO) explains that when somebody coughs or sneezes, they spray small liquid droplets from their nostril or mouth which can include the virus. If you’re too shut to somebody who has the coronavirus and so they dont cowl their mouth or nostril once they cough or sneeze, this will increase the possibility of spreading the virus. These droplets also can land on objects and surfaces the place individuals could contact. After we preserve acceptable bodily distance, the potential to unfold the virus is decreased.
Whereas coronavirus in Nigeria is nonetheless not as widespread as in different nations, we should take efficient measures to curb the unfold. This implies:
- Staying away from others as a lot as doable. For now, you may nonetheless go to a number of locations, solely when needed, together with markets, malls, pharmacies, and hospitals. Should you go to any of those locations, preserve at the least 1 metre (three toes) distance between your self and the subsequent individual, as advisable by WHO.
- Avoiding massive gatherings as a lot as doable. This isn’t the time to host or attend huge events and ceremonies. Lagos State, as an example, has banned all gatherings of over 50 individuals inside the state, and different states are following swimsuit.
- Staying at house. There is no such thing as a different means to put this. For some this may occasionally show a problem, nevertheless the much less individuals are out on the streets and involved with others, the sooner we are able to cease coronavirus in Nigeria. A rise in COVID-19 infections in Nigeria will overwhelm our well being system, and it’s up to each one in all us to cease this from occurring.
Folks all over the world haven’t taken social distancing seriously, and this appears to even be the case in Nigeria. When Italy witnessed it first circumstances of coronavirus, social distancing was not one of many measures being required by authorities advisories. As as consequence, the inhabitants continued shut bodily interactions. This led to widespread neighborhood transmission of the virus. Italy is now totally on lockdown, and but, new infections of coronavirus contines to be recorded each day.
The Italian authorities has now been pressured to resort to drones to monitor Italians in a bid to get them to observe social distancing. That’s how seriously social distancing is being taken in a rustic the place deaths from coronavirus have now surpassed China. Different nations in Europe and Africa have skilled an identical problem. It’s exhausting to ask individuals to instantly change social norms and habits which are so instinctive. Nonetheless, social distancing is likely one of the confirmed measures to restrict the unfold of coronavirus, so we should study to change our behaviour to save lives. An unprecented disaster requires unprecented motion.
How to defend your self should you want to exit
For individuals who nonetheless want to exit to work, it is necessary to apply as a lot social distancing as your workplace house permits. Wash your arms regularly with cleaning soap and water or use an alcohol-primarily based sanitizer, and restrict the variety of guests or conferences you may have in your workplace. Additionally, don’t forget to educate your workplace cleaner, safety personnel and different employees concerning the coronavirus and the way they’ll stop it. We should always all learn.
It’s referred to as Social Distancing, however what this actually requires is Bodily Distancing. We are able to nonetheless be social however preserve our bodily distance. As a substitute of getting family and friends go to, please take benefit of social media to communicate with them. This is a chance to reconnect with members of the family and pals.
It might show exhausting to guarantee social distancing in a rustic like Nigeria with a inhabitants that’s largely self-employed. Whereas Lagos State has directed that no passengers ought to be allowed to stand in buses after all of the seats should have been occupied, what about passengers sitting subsequent to one another or queuing to enter these public buses? Can we actually observe social distancing in a inhabitants of roughly 200 million with restricted sources? Whereas it is a problem, we should do all we are able to to #TakeResponsibility and cling to the decision for social distancing.
What does it imply to self-isolate?
The Nigeria Centre for Illness Management (NCDC) has requested that individuals who return from a rustic with widespread neighborhood transmission of COVID-19, ought to keep at house and isolate themselves for 14 days. Self-isolation is a precautionary measure to defend these round you from contracting the virus, in case you have it. It includes avoiding shut contact with different individuals as a lot as doable. This implies:
- It’s best to completely keep away from guests and separate your self from individuals you reside with. You must also preserve at the least 1 metre (three toes) distance between them.
- Whereas staying at house, it’s best to scale back the doable unfold of an infection. Observe fundamental hygienewash your arms typically, cowl your coughs and sneezes, don’t share consuming or cooking utensils, towels and private gadgets with different individuals.
- Should you grow to be unwell or present signs of COVID-19 in the course of the 14 days isolation, name NCDCs toll-free quantity instantly on 080097000010. The signs of COVID-19 are fever, cough or issue in respiration.
This isn’t a time to panic. It’s a time to #TakeResponsibility and forestall additional transmission of the virus. The facility to cease the unfold is in our arms as Nigerians. The straightforward act of washing your arms with cleaning soap and water, or utilizing an alcohol-primarily based sanitizer can stop hundreds of deaths. Do what you may to hold your self and everybody round you secure, particularly those that could also be extra inclined to an infection, together with the aged and people with present well being situations. We should all contemplate the results of our actions on this crucial time. Nigeria is ours, and we should defend her.
How are you stopping the unfold of the coronavirus? How typically do you wash your arms? Are you working from house? If not, how do you commute to your office? Have you ever restricted your outings? What measures have your state put in place to stop the unfold of coronavirus? Share with us within the remark part or on our Twitter web page @nighealthwatch and Fb @nigeriahealthwatch.